800-251-6649 Free Consulation

There are several new immigration rules the President announced in his speech on November 20, 2014.

These new immigration rules are called Executive Orders. Some of these will help if you are an undocumented immigrant or illegal immigrant.  You can get work authorization, a driver license and you won’t be deported.  This lasts three years, but will very likely be renewable.

When Can You Apply?

You cannot apply for it just yet.

The Immigration Office has to get the process ready.

It will probably be at least 60 to 90 days before you can apply for this new immigration program.  However, you should at least began gathering documentation such as proof you have lived here since January 1, 2010.

It is not quite the amnesty that everyone thinks it is, but it does help some.  Below are the parts that may be of interest:

Parents of United States Citizens or Green Card Holders (lawful permanent residents)

This new immigration rule will allow parents of U.S. citizens and parents of Children with Green Cards to get a driver license, allow you to work and not be deported for three years. It is very likely you will simply be able to renew after three years.

To qualify, you must also have been in the U.S. since January 1, 2010 and you will have to pass a background check.

This program is called Deferred Action for Parental Accountability.

Did you get here illegally before turning 16 years old?

This portion of the new Presidential Executive Order / Amnesty increases the number of people eligible for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program to people who came to this country before turning 16 years old and have been in the U.S. since January 1, 2010.

It will also expand the period of DACA and work authorization from two years to three years.

Did you enter illegally or overstay your visa – Waivers

There are already waivers that allow a person who entered illegally, then marry a U.S. Citizen, to be forgiven and get their Green Card.

However, the new immigration rules will allow more people to qualify for these provisional waivers of unlawful presence to include the spouses and sons and daughters of relatives with Green Cards (lawful permanent residents) and the sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.

It may also make it easier to qualify for a waiver of your unlawful presence by relaxing the standard previously needed to get forgiveness of your illegal entry. It is really a good change for the better.

Green Card After Illegally Entering U.S.

These provisional waivers are great because you don’t just get work authorization and a driver license.  If your waiver is approved, you can stay here and get your Green Card.  Most people don’t know about waivers and are not discussed much.  These waivers create your path to Citizenship.

As mentioned, you cannot actually apply yet under the new Executive Order Immigration Rules as USCIS is getting the rules in order and ramp things up for all the new people to apply.  It may take between two to three months before you can actually apply.

It is now time for you to gather your documentation needed to get ready to start a new life.